Using an Insta360 ONE RS Twin

I’ve uploaded a few images with my Insta360 ONE RS Twin and the results were ok. I took interval photos by bike, but the workflow with the Insta was rather painful. Nevertheless here is what I learned:

• Images are stored with file ending insp, which is a JPEG with two fisheye pictures
  • The Insta has no built-in GPS, but positions are transferred from the mobile app
  • GPS positions are only stored in the first image when taking interval pictures
  • Exported 360° images get the export timestamp, the current GPS position and they have no correlation to the original insp file (neither from file name nor EXIF tags)

My workflow:

• Take photos with the minimal interval of 3 seconds
  • Record GPS positions with GPSTest App by enabling Location in File Ouptut
  • Export 360° images with Insta app
  • Copy timestamp from insp files to exported jpegs (exiftool -tagsFromFile IMG_20240528_145929_00_004.insp -DateTimeOriginal 20240528_211214_893.jpg)
  • Copy GPSTest log file in jpg directory
  • Upload using geovisio-cli with GpslogMetadataHandler (merge request 60)
  • Ignore duplicate image detection (probably because of same position in EXIF tags) by patching geoviso-cli
  • Change orientation of all images by 180°

Solving all these problems for having a smooth workflow takes too much time for me. But the GPS log correlation might be of interest for others.

2 Likes

There should be a way to bypass the steps with the Insta app + copy timestamps if we find the magic command line to use with… ImageMagick

ImageMagick is able to reproject pictures and keep EXIF/XMP tags.

That would make a lot simpler! Something like Fred's ImageMagick Scripts: FISHEYE2RECT , but for two input pictures.

Maybe even better: Fred's ImageMagick Scripts: FISHEYE2PANO

Looking at the timestamps of your jps on Panoramax, I notice the same behaviour as with the X3 : the interval is more about 5 to 7 seconds between each pictures.

The stitching process is a little more complex than just merging/reproject two fisheye images. I doubt the result would be good with ImageMagick.

An other way could be exporting a 360° video like in the mapillary tutorial and then extract frames from it.